MHBA Visit to Lupulin Brewery March 12, 2022
Lupulin was kind enough to host us for a fantastic time at the brewery. If you weren’t able to make it, you missed them walking us through the history of Lupulin, a tour of the facilities, and general Q&A. Thank you to Lupulin for the great time!
March Final Friday Social April 1
MHBA Visit to Barrel Theory Brewery April 23, 2022
Make sure to make it out to St. Paul on April 23 when Barrel Theory will be hosting the club for a visit!
FB Event: https://fb.me/e/4pF0ggPkt
Big Brew Day May 7th at “The Lab” in St. Paul
More details will be available soon, but the basics include:
- On premises brewing – bring your systems!
- Wort share – sign up (TBD) to purchase 5G for just $10 to take home and ferment.
MHBA Full Core Press Cider Competition
The Minnesota Home Brewers Association is pleased to announce the first MHBA Full Core Press Cider Competition. The club cider buy has long been a cornerstone of who we are collectively, and this competition strives to take our cider and cyser making to the next level by providing professional and high-level feedback.
- 100% of the cider you use MUST come from the 2021 MHBA club cider buy
- Full Core Press encourages entries in three categories: Standard Ciders (C1), Cysers (M2A), and Specialty Ciders (C2, including grafs)
- Entry and judge registration will open September 2022
- Judging will occur October 2022
- Awards will be in-person at the 2022 MHBA club cider buy
- Bring your ciders and cysers to the 2022 club cider buy for a fun bottle share!
Questions From the Community
No Questions Yet! Don’t forget that the Minnesota Home Brewers Association offers the Hive Mind as an option to ask questions from experts the community.
In order to submit a question, fill out the form here. The information is then anonymously sent to the experts who will provide their answer(s) based on years of expertise and studies. The answer(s) will then be collated and sent back to you – its that easy! At the end of every newsletter we will include the anonymous questions and answers for everybody else to see in order to spread the wealth of knowledge.
MHBA Honor Roll
- Josh Mahoney on winning Gold and Bronze for Braggot at Mead Madness Cup in Poland
- Kevin Meintsma on winning Silver in Semisweet/Sweet Mead, Silver in Cyser, and Bronze in Semisweet Fruit and Spice Mead at Mead Madness Cup in Poland
- Nathan Steigman on winning Silver in Sweet Berry Mead at Mead Madness Cup in Poland
- Adam Bystrom on winning Bronze in Semisweet/Sweet Mead at Mead Madness Cup in Poland
- Patrick Curme voted to be on the AMMA board
The following is a curated list of what we’re reading, listening to, and thinking about in the world of beer, mead, and cider this week:
- Learn about the new uprising trend of craft beer drinkers interest in lagers here
- Watch club member Al Boyce on Man Made Mead as he talks all about his experience in homebrewing, what the BJCP mead certification exam looks like and gives us tips on how to be better mead makers!
- AC Em Sauter at Pints and Panels talked about winter seasonal beer
- Chip Walton of Chop and Brew was on the BeerSmith podcast on the episode that released on Christmas Eve.
- Paige Latham Didora was on a panel for the North American Guild of Beer Writers discussing how the revelation of more than a thousand accounts of sexual harassment and assault, toxic workplaces and discrimination is affecting the beer industry – listen in here