MHBA Visit to Wooden Ship Brewing Feb 20, 2022
Thank you to Wooden Ship Brewing including Suresh and team for hosting the MN Homebrewers Association on February 20th. They took us on a tour of the facility, explained their philosophy and story, talked us through a tasting of Soup SZN (a light golden ale was brewed with large additions of ginger, lemongrass, coconut, turmeric, curry, thai basil, and scallions), and answered any questions we have. Make sure to stop by the brewery if you get a chance!
MHBA Holiday Party February 26th at Forgotten Star Brewing
Thanks to Forgotten Star for having the club at the brewery for this years holiday party. After multiple postponements we were able to gather for an evening of enjoying each others food, homebrew, and company. The club wouldn’t be what it is without all of its members, and appreciate seeing familiar faces and some new ones. Hope to continue seeing everyone throughout the year at future events. Special congratulations to Nathan Steigman for winning the inaugural “Ace” award for excellence in representation of passion in competitions and achievements over the past year.
Winter Beer Dabbler Homebrew Contest
MHBA Visit to Lupulin Brewery March 12, 2022
Lupulin Brewery will be hosting the club on March 12, 2022 to share in their brewing facilities and beers! More info to come.
FB Event: https://fb.me/e/1qYagUYNZ
March Final Friday Social April 1
Craft Brewers Conference Seeking Volunteers (May 2-5)
The Craft Brewers Conference is looking for volunteers, see below note:
This year’s Craft Brewers Conference will take place May 2-5 at the Minneapolis Convention Center and your help is needed!
The Brewers Association is looking for awesome volunteers to pour at beer stations, assist at registration and help at the Welcome Reception. Enjoy the camaraderie of brewers from around the world while pouring select craft beer and helping the Brewers Association.
Please sign up for as many shifts as you can! You may see all opportunities, days and shifts at:
Thank you for your consideration. Your help at this year’s Craft Brewers Conference is very much appreciated.
MHBA Full Core Press Cider Competition
The Minnesota Home Brewers Association is pleased to announce the first MHBA Full Core Press Cider Competition. The club cider buy has long been a cornerstone of who we are collectively, and this competition strives to take our cider and cyser making to the next level by providing professional and high-level feedback.
- 100% of the cider you use MUST come from the 2021 MHBA club cider buy
- Full Core Press encourages entries in three categories: Standard Ciders (C1), Cysers (M2A), and Specialty Ciders (C2, including grafs)
- Entry and judge registration will open September 2022
- Judging will occur October 2022
- Awards will be in-person at the 2022 MHBA club cider buy
- Bring your ciders and cysers to the 2022 club cider buy for a fun bottle share!
Questions From the Community
No Questions Yet! Don’t forget that the Minnesota Home Brewers Association offers the Hive Mind as an option to ask questions from experts the community.
In order to submit a question, fill out the form here. The information is then anonymously sent to the experts who will provide their answer(s) based on years of expertise and studies. The answer(s) will then be collated and sent back to you – its that easy! At the end of every newsletter we will include the anonymous questions and answers for everybody else to see in order to spread the wealth of knowledge.
MHBA Honor Roll
- Josh Mahoney on winning Gold and Bronze for Braggot at Mead Madness Cup in Poland
- Kevin Meintsma on winning Silver in Semisweet/Sweet Mead, Silver in Cyser, and Bronze in Semisweet Fruit and Spice Mead at Mead Madness Cup in Poland
- Nathan Steigman on winning Silver in Sweet Berry Mead at Mead Madness Cup in Poland
- Adam Bystrom on winning Bronze in Semisweet/Sweet Mead at Mead Madness Cup in Poland
- Patrick Curme voted to be on the AMMA board
The following is a curated list of what we’re reading, listening to, and thinking about in the world of beer, mead, and cider this week:
- Learn about the new uprising trend of craft beer drinkers interest in lagers here
- Watch club member Al Boyce on Man Made Mead as he talks all about his experience in homebrewing, what the BJCP mead certification exam looks like and gives us tips on how to be better mead makers!
- AC Em Sauter at Pints and Panels talked about winter seasonal beer
- Chip Walton of Chop and Brew was on the BeerSmith podcast on the episode that released on Christmas Eve.
- Paige Latham Didora was on a panel for the North American Guild of Beer Writers discussing how the revelation of more than a thousand accounts of sexual harassment and assault, toxic workplaces and discrimination is affecting the beer industry – listen in here