MHBA Visit to Barrel Theory Brewery 11am, Saturday April 23, 2022
Make sure to come to St. Paul with us on April 23 when Barrel Theory will be hosting the club for a visit! Learn about what they are doing, trying some beers, and have a good time with club friends.
FB Event: https://fb.me/e/4pF0ggPkt
MHBA welcomes members of the Primary Fermenters
Our friends and neighbors are welcomed into the MHBA with multiple opportunities to participate in events, brewing opportunities and education. If you are a member of the Primary Fermenters club, please contact an MHBA officer – we are providing member cards that you can use at your local homebrew shop for discounts and benefits.
Big Brew Day at The Lab, May 7th from 9am to 9pm
The wort share purchases have been completely filled. Our thanks to The Lab for providing a Wheat beer/Hefe base for this sharing opportunity.
If you want to brew with us:
Bring your brewing system and make beer with us (LOTS of room!)
Doesn’t matter if you’re all grain or extract – ALL are welcome!
Beer may be purchased from The Lab
Food truck will be onsite, or bring your own food
Plenty of shelter is available in case of inclement weather for brewers and attendees
RO water and Saint Paul water is provided
Electricity is available (no 220)
Grain disposal is available
Homebrew sharing is permissible
FB Event: https://fb.me/e/1fxZMQyKQ
In With the New: Welcome your new leadership team!
The MHBA held elections on (yes really) Friday April 1st. Please welcome your officers, and as always, please share ideas, needs and interests with any of the leadership team:
- President – Nick Aschbrenner
- Vice-President – Matt Johnson
- Treasurer – Jon Hunter
- Secretary – Kevin Meintsma
- Member At-Large – Al Boyce
- Member At-Large – Adam Bystrom
- Member At-Large – Kurt Lawton
- Member At-Large – Abby Rouster
Our effort is directed along several focus areas:
- Social (led by Matt Johnson): responsible for planning monthly FFS, the holiday party, and other social activities like brewery tours
- Beer and brewing: (led by Kevin Meintsma and Nick Aschbrenner) responsible for Big Brew Day, Spring Homebrew Review, and Beer Dabbler Homebrew Contests
- Education (led by Nick): responsible for BJCP prep class
- Not Beer: (led by Abby Rouster and Dave Mattson) responsible for the Club Cider Buy
- Dave Royer is the technical wizard behind the MHBA that keeps us connected
Brave Noise Collaboration
It also means we get to brew beer and make a difference!
- Brew the all-grain or extract recipe (en español)
- The MHBA will donate a Tubman ($20) for every dues-paying member who brews Brave Noise in 2022 to the Minnesota Craft Brewers Guild Diversity in Brewing Scholarship to attend the Dakota County Technical College Brewing and Beer Steward certificate program
- You can make your own donations to their scholarship fund here
- Pledge to treat everyone with respect and let us know you brewed it here
Al Boyce is hosting a BJCP mead tasting exam on September 8 just prior to Valyrie’s Horn Mead Competition. It costs $40 if you’re new to the BJCP and $25 if you’ve already taken a BJCP tasting exam. You also have to get a passing score on the BJCP mead entrance exam. Only 12 seats are available so sign up ASAP!
Nick is hosting a BJCP written exam on October 15. To take it, you must have a BJCP beer tasting exam score at or above 80 and at least 10 judging points.
MHBA Flight Log
- Al Boyce was recently promoted to Grand Master IX judge by the BJCP (third highest-ranked BJCP judge in the world after Gordon Strong and Steve Piatz)
The following is a curated list of what we’re reading, listening to, and thinking about in the world of beer, mead, cider (and wine) this week: