As per tradition, the camping event will take place the first weekend in August. The planning, Saturday supper, and site are coordinated this year by the Prairie Homebrewing Companions of Fargo-Moorhead. The cost is usually minimal, and is often around $25/person, camping and Saturday’s feast included; kids are free. After three years at El Rancho Manana, the event moves back to Camp Nushka this time around.
This is an amazing weekend, and is great for families and well-behaved pets. If you don’t care for drinking great beverages in the summer sunlight, or for sitting around a campfire while people sing and pass you amazing beer, then you should avoid this event at all costs.
Please let Tom know if you are coming by Sunday July 29th. E-mail [email protected]. This is so we can prepare for Saturday dinner and so I can get an estimate on costs. Please still come unannounced if you have last minute availability or you just do not plan that far ahead. There will be plenty of space and we probably will even have extra food (but you may want a backup plan).
- This is a primitive site so no electricity or running water.
- We will make water available but if you have a large water cooler you want to share that is appreciated.
- We can get water from the Knutson dam close by but it is a drive distance.
- Bathroom facilities are outhouses.
- There is a main parking area for campers and tent pads are scattered throughout the grounds
- We are on Cass lake with lake/beach access. It has been a few years but the beach has always been sandy and nice and swimming has been great.
- We are in a forest with many trees so there is shade but bringing portable shelters is still not a bad idea as congregation happens in open areas
- There is a large open sided picnic shelter for meals and general shelter from sun and rain.
- Actually there are two but spaced far away from each other as this is technically 2 sites
- We will be getting a load of firewood delivered for the weekend
- A jockey box will be available if you’re bringing kegs. Of course, bottles, growlers and any other beer containers are encouraged.
- Appreciate it if you let me know you are planning to use the jockey box. It may influence which one I bring.
Cost and Registration Information:
- Cost will be based on participation but expect around $25 per adult for the full weekend including campground, firewood, and Saturday dinner. Email me for “registration” [email protected]
- Since we pay a set cost for the grounds and firewood, cost per person will be determined by attendance.
- If you do not wish to participate in the Saturday dinner, no worries and not a problem. You will only pay camping fees, which is roughly half.
- Kids eat and stay for free. We do need them in the head count for food though so I still need to know they are coming.
2301 Cass Bluffs Loop Road, Pennington, MN 56663 (map) – GPS 47.440745, -94.497461
- From the East, West or South, take which ever route brings you to highway 2, west of Grand Rapids, East of Bemidji or Cass Lake
- On Hwy 2, about 5 miles east of the town of Cass Lake, look for SR10/39 turn North and go 4.2 miles
- Turn West on Cass Bluff Loop Road go 1.2 miles
- Look for the sign (on the left) that says Camp Nushka (if the road starts veering right, you’ve gone too far)
What to Expect:
- If you’ve been to the campout, you know it’s primarily a time to kick back and enjoy good beer and fun beer drinkers.
- Feel free to participate as you wish
- Bring beer to share. Club jockey boxes will be available so kegs are welcome and encouraged
- The campfires are always accompanied by the passing around of great beers for all to sample. Start thinking now about what delectable delights you’ll bring in your cooler.
- The host clubs cook dinner Saturday evening, but for all other meals you’ll want to make sure you bring food for yourself and/or family.
- Of course, bring your own camping gear and chairs.
- Well behaved dogs are welcome.
- Well-behaved acoustic instruments are welcome.
- Amplified music is generally unwelcome.
Over the years some traditions have developed and some new ones are added:
- Master of Malt: This fun competition between clubs has been held at the campout since 1992 (yes this will be year 25). Each club can enter up to four brews: one for ALES, one for LAGERS, one for BELGIANS, and one for MEAD/CIDERS. There will be awards for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in all categories and best of all, you will be competing for the coveted title of Master of Malt! The win is recorded forever in history for your club AND you get to spend a full year with the prestigious Master of Malt trophy. It is kind of like the Stanley Cup, but it’s a KEG!
- If you have one of the 4 plaques please bring or send with someone and let us know it is coming.
- Sour Hour: A tart happy hour. Sometime in the lull between the Master of Malt competition and dinner we will get together and break out some sour beers. It is a very casual thing. Bring and share if you like sours. Try to limit it to 1 or 2 per person.
- Bloody Mary Mornings (okay, maybe early afternoon for later risers): Some of us like to start the day with a good Bloody Mary (remember the old saying, “you can’t drink all day if you don’t start in the morning.”) This is another low key event, if you would like to begin your day this way, bring your own mix and vodka to begin, but also bring one Bloody Mary Builder to share with the group (pickles, beef sticks, cheese, celery, the list is endless). Let’s see how creative we can get.
- Saturday Dinner: Saturday’s dinner will be hosted by the Prairie Homebrewing Companions. Creole Dick’s Campground Culinary Kitchen will be preparing something tasty – Gumbo unless something comes up. Please indicate your participation by e-mailing [email protected]