Join us for the 2nd annual MHBA Iron Home Brewer Competition
Saturday, September 10th is our 2nd annual Iron Home Brewer competition. The secret ingredient this year was Rye, so bring your best Rye offerings and come ready to taste away. The event is being held outside (weather permitting) at Midwest Supplies in St Louis Park from 12 to 3pm and everyone is welcome! Midwest gives us a large parking lot space, so kids, bring your scooters and balls.
There will be two prizes for rye beers–one awarded by a panel of judges, and the other awarded by people’s choice. If you brewed either or both of the AHA Big Brew recipes this year, then bring those beers to enter a contest for those–yes, there are prizes.
Pat and Hank McNeely will be putting on a mead demonstration at 1:00, so bring your mead questions and your notebooks. (and your mead!)
Thirty pounds of Cascade hops, donated by Summit Brewing, will be given away in one-pound increments.
All homebrew (as well as delicious commercial beer) is very welcome, and the club jockey box will be available. Anyone who brings at least 60 ounces of a particular beer will receive credit in the Brewers of Fame Program.
- This will be a club only contest that will utilize a secret ingredient in the brewing process.
- Brewers will have from June 13th until September 10th to brew any beer that they feel will work in harmony and exemplify the secret ingredient.
- Brewers should bring at minimum 6 – 12 oz bottles or 1 – 64oz growler. We will have the club jockey box available for kegs as well.
- The secret ingredient will be unveiled June 13th on-line and at the “Sinning with the Saints” game.
- The secret ingredient will be provided for free to any member that pre-registers for the competition and arrives at the Saints game and wants to participate in the competition.
- The secret ingredient will be chosen at random from one of these 4 ingredients:
- Rye (Flaked)
- Brown Sugar
There are two ways to win:
- We will have a panel of 3 qualified judges to select the Iron Home Brewer. The winner will win an MHBA Iron Home Brewer trophy and a $50 gift certificate to Midwest Supplies.
- We will also have a people’s choice award will win a $25 to Midwest Supplies.
If you plan on picking up the ingredient at the Saints game (we need to ensure we have enough), or have any questions about this event please e-mail Matt Weide at or register below.