It’s almost time for Homebrew Con! The first question is, are YOU attending? Also, our club is serving club homebrew (beer, mead and cider) at two events and we are looking for a couple volunteers:
Friday, June 16, 7:30 pm – 11:30 pm, Hall D, Booth 1540
Social Club: Saturday, June 17th, 11:00 am – 1:00 pm, Hall E, Bar 1
We are looking for volunteers to serve beer and represent the MHBA during these events…if we can get enough people would be ½ hour to 1 hour stints. Email Dave Matson if you can help. Note, if possible you should wear either MHBA garb or something along our Night’s Watch theme (club night only). Dave has an extra MHBA shirt I can borrow you if needed.
Also, we will be setting up for club night some time Friday between 10am and 6pm…contact Dave to let him know if you can be available…shouldn’t be a major undertaking but the more the merrier.
Looking forward to seeing everyone there!Read More
Reminder that Tuesday is our Social event at Inbound! Come check out their space, grab an Inbound beer and stick around for a tour! We will be there starting around 6 and will try to kick off a tour sometime between 6:30 and 7:00. If you have beers for NHC, this is the drop-off for them as well!
Bring friends and family! All are welcome! Wear your MHBA apparel if you have it!Read More
Here’s a quick summary of what’s been happening lately with the MHBA!
Back on May 19th the MHBA headed out to CHS Field for our annual pilgrimage to Sin with the Saint’s!
May 7th, LiftBridge hosted a huge Big Brew Day Party!
From the Facebook Group
- Gera Exire La Tour reminded everyone that you still have a couple days to enter and drop off your beer for the Lift Bridge Pro-am competition. More details at the website.
- Dave Matson shared an update for this upcoming Tuesday’ social event at InBound regarding tasting NHC beers.
- Al Boyce shared the report that there are still BJCP judges needed for the final round of judging at NHC.
- Joe Gerteis gave an update on how to get your beers dropped off for NHC second round. He also is looking for lots of help at the bottle sort this Sunday. More information is available on the sign-up page.
- Al Boyce has been sharing a huge collection of suggested costume ideas for the club’s booth at Homebrew Con!
It’s long past time for a social event. On June 6th we are heading to visit our good friends at Inbound! Everyone is welcome. We’ll be there starting around 6:00pm with a tour starting between 6:30 and 6:45 or so. Come socialize, grab some Inbound beer and get a sneak peak behind the scenes at their setup!
This event is open to everyone! Bring your friends and family!Read More
Do you have your tickets yet? Thursday will bring our annual bout of tailgating, sharing homebrew and baseball with the St. Paul Saints! $18 per person gets you a brat at our tailgating party before the event and a ticket into the game. More details and the purchase form are available on the event page.Read More
Hey MHBA members! WE NEED YOUR BEER!!!!! We have room for a few more kegs of beer for Homebrew Con…email Dave Matson if you would like to have your beer flowing at the conference. We will be scheduling a tasting at the end of May / early June to finalize things.
Here the current list of people who have committed to bringing beer and mead for Club Night (7:30 pm – 11:30 pm Friday, June 16) and Social Club (Date/Time TBD):
- Winds of Winter Tripel – Dave Matson
- Wildling IPA – Dave Matson
- English Best Bitter – Joel Ellingson
- Winter Spice Ale – Alex Carlson
- Braggot – Paul Illa
- TBD – Paul Illa
- TBD – Pat McNeely & Hank McNeely
- TBD – Pat McNeely & Hank McNeely
- Surly 2016 beer with Trappist yeast – Matt Weide
- Key lime mead – Matt Weide
- 2015 cider buy cider – Matt Weide
- 2016 cider buy cider – Matt Weide
- Porter or White IPA – Jon Hunter
- Mead – Al Boyce
- Mead – Al Boyce
- Mead(s) – Pat McNeely and Hank McNeely
Saturday, May 6th we celebrate the American Homebrewers Association’s annual Big Brew for National Homebrew Day. Many of us will gather and brew individually at Lift Bridge Brewing beginning at 11:00; any recipe is welcome, but please consider brewing one of the two suggested recipes found on the AHA site. Brewing will be outside, except for those who were the first twelve to sign up.
Homebrew is welcome, and Lift Bridge will have mash/sparge water available, as well as hoses for chillers. Please remember to purchase much of Lift Bridge’s delicious wares! At 4:00, Lift Bridge will be distributing an Oktoberfest wort to those that register and purchase ahead of time. Details are on Lift Bridge’s event page.
If you can’t make it to Lift Bridge, then please consider hosting a brewing open house on May 6th. Let us know that you’re doing so, and we can spread the word to club members; this is a great opportunity to meet other members, see other brewers’ set-ups, share techniques, and to participate in the national simultaneous noon toast. Please let us know your name and address, what time you are opening the doors, what people can bring, and whether they should bring a brewing set-up.
Let’s make this a day where club members are in personal contact with other members, regardless of location!Read More